Solution Architecture assessment
Checklist of topics to cover
Functional level assessment: which applications are there and how users make use of them? (both end users/clients and corporate users/employees)
- Identify business domains
- Different functional areas in the frontend website
- How each of them is related to the revenue-generating processes
- Multiple regions/countries with different features?
- User’s requests that the system can’t meet atm.
- User’s main complaints and pain points
- Examples of manual/human tasks that can/should be automated
Non Functional level assessment: SLAs required and main pain points
- Availability (current/required/critical)
- Reliability (current/required/critical)
- Performance (current/required/critical)
- Security (current/required/critical)
- Some metrics of the system
- Concurrent users
- Number of requests to be processed
- Bottlenecks detected
- Tech team’s main complains and pain points
Modules and Components diagrams
- Modules: How is code organized in the repos
- applications and packages, and how they are related/referenced to each other
- Components: How are components organized in runtime and how are they related/referenced to each other
- Services, databases, queues, 3P services…
- Hosting model: On-prem, PaaS azure service, docker containers
- Identity management
How is the system’s architecture produced?
- Is there a technical governance process in place?
- Integrated in the SDLC?
- Tech debt management?
- Support issues overview
- How are platform level decisions made?
- Version control management model/branching strategies
- For components
- For packages
- 3party packages